Gaining awareness of your home’s plumbing systems can help keep them operating properly in addition to avoiding costly issues in the future. That being said, plumbing issues arise every so often, no matter how much care and maintenance a homeowner puts into the systems.
As with any type of machinery, it’s important to routinely maintain your plumbing system. Scheduling regular checkups can help ensure your system lasts longer and stays reliable.
There are helpful guidelines and tips that homeowners should be aware of in order to avoid expensive plumbing calls with simple fixes or for smaller issues that can spiral into larger issues if the water supply isn’t cut off immediately. Additionally, there are aspects that every homeowner should be aware of – in case of either issues or emergencies.
Plumbing Aspects Homeowners Should Note
It’s useful for any homeowner to know the following plumbing facts about their home in case of a plumbing emergency or when you need to call in plumbing experts, like the individuals at Hackler Plumbing:
- Main water supply location
- Where the main shutoff valve is, and how to operate it
- Main sewer line location
- Type of heating, air conditioning and hot water systems (electric, gas, propane, etc.)
Preventing Plumbing Emergencies
Homeowners should verse themselves in some basic plumbing tasks to avoid having to call plumbing contractors for minor issues. This will save you time, effort and headaches in the long run, not to mention money down the drain! You can learn more about these aspects from a plumbing expert (next time they are servicing your home) or with simple online tutorials.
Here are some basic plumbing tasks that the expert plumbers of Hackler Plumbing recommend all homeowners should learn:
- How to tighten and check faucets (hot and cold lines)
- How to properly check supply and drain lines (on items like your dishwasher)
- Methods to clear simple plumbing blockages
Utilizing simple fixes, such as those listed above, can help you prevent larger problems from occurring in the future. Also, knowing that you can implement the simple fixes helps you, as a homeowner, to determine when it’s appropriate to call in professionals for tasks you cannot handle. In such cases, know that licensed professionals at Hackler Plumbing have your back!
Quick Tips to Help Prevent Plumbing Problems:
- Avoid turning faucets too tightly on and off during use. This will prevent loosening the faucets too quickly with normal wear and tear.
- Anytime you make repairs, monitor them closely. You may think it’s fixed, but you want to ensure it’s not going to lead to additional problems down the line.
- Turn off water supply (to washer, water heater, dishwasher, etc.) when leaving the home for extended periods of time (vacations, etc.). This will prevent flooding emergencies from occurring when you’re not there to notice them.
- Protect a home’s pipes and hoses from extreme heat and cold. Extreme temperatures can impact your pipes and create issues, especially during harsh weather seasons.
- Never put items in the drain that could potentially build up and clog (even if you run hot water). A perfect example of this? Bacon grease in the kitchen sink drain.
- Avoid putting certain items in your garbage disposal. Fibrous roots like celery, onion skins, eggshells, coffee grounds and vegetable peels should go into the trash or compost heap if you have one.
- Prevent hair from going down the shower/bathtub drain. This is an easy fix with a drain cover!
- Combining baking soda and vinegar is effective in helping to clear minor drain blockages.
Lastly, it’s important to know when it’s necessary to call in a professional for help. In the following section, we’ve listed some of the common red flags which indicate you should call in plumbing experts for help assessing the issue.
Common Red Flags You Have Plumbing Issues:
- Dripping faucets (may seem minor, but can indicate larger line blockage issues)
- Any signs of dampness, mold or mildew
- Water pooling or backing up in sinks, showers and bathtubs
- Sounds of running water
- Gurgling sounds in the pipes
- Sewer gas smell near drains
- Water heater making sounds (out of the ordinary)
When any of these issues occur, it’s time to call Hackler Plumbing immediately. We’ll help you assess the issue, repair it and guide you in ways to avoid it from happening in the future. We service all of North Dallas including McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Plano, and more!